- The crocus is a small, low-growing
flower with iridescent colors ranging from gray to reddish purple.
The crocus has grass-like leaves and it blooms in early spring and
- The two main types of crocus are the
Crocus vernus and Crocus sativus.
- Crocus is a burlap-like fabric once
used to ship saffron.
- The crocus plant is short in stature
but come in many colours such as white, yellow, lilac, blue and
purple. Some varieties have two colours and others are have striped
- The name Crocus is derived from the
Latin adjective crocatus, meaning saffron yellow. The Greek word for
"saffron" is krokos, while the Arabic word saffron or zafaran, means
- Colchicums also belong to the
Liliaceae or Lily Family while crocuses are in the Iridaceae or Iris
- Saffron is produced from dried stigmas
of Crocus sativus L. member of large family Iridaceae.
- Stigma of Crocus sativus L. (Iridaceae),
commonly known as saffron, is the world’s most expensive spice and
apart from its traditional value as food additive recent studies
indicate its potential as antidepressant.
- A new molecularly imprinted polymer
for extraction of crocin from saffron stigmas was prepared using
gentiobiose (a glycoside moiety in crocin structure) as a template.
- The anther development was examined in
some Crocus species, by light and scanning electron microscopy.
- The quality of saffron depend on
- In the case of Crocus, the temperature
may be so low that the flowers cannot open, yet the flowers may
develop fully, nevertheless.
- Micropropagation has increasingly
become a valuable tool assisting breeders to release new species and
cultivars into the market more rapidly. A report shows that the
progress made in Genus Crocus of Family Iridaceae, and highlight the
potential for future expansion in this field.
- Even though saffron is the most
expensive spice in the world, knowledge on the biology of the
producing plant (Crocus sativus L.) is still limited.
- Crocus sativus Linn (Iridaceae) is
used widely in tropical and subtropical countries for a variety of
purposes in both household and for medicinal Uses
Entrepreneur who wants the
informations on "
Growers, Cultivation, Florists, Application, Patent, Consultants,
Properties, Function, Report " can
Email as to