- It is manufactured using the calcium process or the sodium process.
- 2 Ca(OH)2 + 2 Cl2 → Ca(OCl)2 + CaCl2 + 2 H2O
- 2 Ca(OH)2 + 3 Cl2 + 2 NaOH → Ca(OCl)2 + CaCl2 + 2 H2O + 2 NaCl
- The calcium hypochlorite (CHLORODEC) is used to clean and chlorinate drinking water, swimming pools, aquaculture and processing units, industrial water treatment, industrial cyanide waste, textile industry, fruits and vegetables, leather industry, paper industry, sugar industry, poultry plants, hotels and hospitals.
- Calcium hypochlorite is one of the best disinfectants known, killing bacteria, yeasts, fungus, spores, even viruses.
- Calcium hypochlorite is projected to grow at a modest 2 percent annual rate, in line with pool starts which, in turn, hinge on the weather and the health of the general economy.
- The historical demand for this chemical has mostly been for the granular form and generally for swimming pool applications.
- South Africa is one of the largest manufacturers of calcium hypochlorite in the world.
- One of the reasons for the increase in demand for the tablet form is that controlled dosing of chlorine can be achieved by the user.