- MSG, is a sodium salt of glutamic
acid. MSG is a food additive, popularly marketed as a "flavour enhancer.
- It was discovered and patented in
1909 by Ajinomoto Corporation in Japan.
- In its pure form, it appears as a
white crystalline powder.
- When dissolved in water (or saliva)
it rapidly dissociates into free sodium and glutamate ions.
- MSG is usually produced through
fermentation — a process similar to that used in making vinegar and
- The process begins with the
fermentation of corn, sugar beets, or sugar cane.
- The finished product is a pure,
white crystal, which dissolves easily and blends well with many foods.
- The fermentation method has the
advantage of mass production at low cost, which was the great impetus for
expanding the amino acid market.
- The manufacturing method of
glutamate shifted from the extraction method to the fermentation method in
- Subsequently, a similar shift to the
fermentation method took place for the other amino acids in rapid
- MSG helps bring out the best natural
flavors in a variety of foods such as meat,poultry, seafood, and
- Soups, casseroles, gravies, and
sauces are examples of dishes that can benefit from the proper use of MSG.
- MSG harmonizes well with salty
and sour tastes, it contributes little or nothing to sweet or bitter foods
- The MSG global market is
approximately 1,700,000MT, with a projected annual growth rate of 4 per
- Ajinomoto claims to have a 34
per cent share of the market.
- In Vietnam Ajinomoto intends to lift
annual MSG production capacity from 45,000MT to 60,000MT with construction
slated for completion by mid-2006.
- The MSG manufacturers and Government
of Indonesia officials determined that the color of the fortified MSG must
not deviate from the color of unfortified MSG.
- MSG is marketed in clear
multilaminate packets showing its purity.
- Various initial attempts to coating
the 250 CWS VA were tried including agglomeration of the VA beadlets with
small MSG crystals or whitening of the beadlets with Klucel (hydroxypropylcellulose)
- The whitening options were
chosen to mask the yellow color of the VA beadlets. Due to the successful
field bioavailability study, the chemical stability of VA in fortified MSG
was not considered.
Entrepreneur who want the information on " Process,
Technology, Applications, Properties, Project, Market"
can E-Mail us to